D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Dornblüth 99.0

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty My Dornblüth 99.0 Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

Hello forum mates,

I recently picked up a 99.0:

My Dornblüth 99.0 DSC_0004

For more photos and commentary, please visit the 99.0 page on my blog.

Cheers!

http://www.dornbluethblog.com

2My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty very nice.. Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 am

tee530

tee530

...and a worthy addition to your collection.

So... are you planning any projects around this watch, or do you plan to keep it "as is"?

Tom

3My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Thanks Tom Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:27 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

tee530 wrote:...and a worthy addition to your collection.

So... are you planning any projects around this watch, or do you plan to keep it "as is"?

Tom

A couple of small tweaks. Nothing urgent. This watch is eminently usable, just as it is. Cool

4My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Re: My Dornblüth 99.0 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm

vincesf

vincesf

Beautiful timeless design.
Thanks for sharing,

vincesf

5My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Thanks Vince! Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

vincesf wrote:Beautiful timeless design.
Thanks for sharing,

vincesf

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!

6My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Re: My Dornblüth 99.0 Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Mark

That looks absolutely lovely - congratulations!

I had always thought that I preferred the 99.1 to the 99.0 but looking at your photos, I'm beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the 99.0 and starting to 'get' the design more.

I think your photo with the 'nice light' on the swan neck is probably the nicest photograph of one of Dirk's movements that I've seen. It epitomised the appeal of the watches for me and made me want to rush home from work and put on mine to admire it. Fabulous shot and thank you for sharing it.

On a minor point, the deployant looks very nice - is that a new model of deployant? The engraving looks better quality than on mine.

7My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Re: My Dornblüth 99.0 Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

dornblogger

dornblogger

Mark wrote:That looks absolutely lovely - congratulations!

I had always thought that I preferred the 99.1 to the 99.0 but looking at your photos, I'm beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the 99.0 and starting to 'get' the design more.

I think your photo with the 'nice light' on the swan neck is probably the nicest photograph of one of Dirk's movements that I've seen. It epitomised the appeal of the watches for me and made me want to rush home from work and put on mine to admire it. Fabulous shot and thank you for sharing it.

On a minor point, the deployant looks very nice - is that a new model of deployant? The engraving looks better quality than on mine.

Thanks Mark. As you might have seen me say elsewhere, it's the movement, not my photography. The deployant isn't new. I got it from Dirk a few years ago. I had been preferring the other style, but I agree that the engraving on this one is more attractive. In general, I feel that all of the Dornblüth buckles are overdue for an upgrade.

Cheers!

8My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Big congrats! Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 am

candle7

candle7

Now THAT is obsession! Very Happy I thought I had entered an elite club by owning two Dorns, but you have taken the game to an entirely different level! With the ZS on order, all that is left is the 99.4. Then what? The Gorch Fock????

All kidding aside, congratulations on what is surely the largest private collection of Dorbluths, worldwide. Impressive!

9My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Re: My Dornblüth 99.0 Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 am

tee530

tee530

Mark wrote:That looks absolutely lovely - congratulations!

I still prefer the 99.1 layout but I think the 99.1 and the 99.0 represent different design goals.

The 99.1 is true to the marine chronometer layout, with big (oversized?) subseconds emphasizing legibility in an instrument designed for maximum accuracy (the chronometer, that is).

The 99.0 is more in the tradition of pocketwatches and early wristwatches, where the subseconds "complication" was more an indicator that the watch was running: note many old designs that leave out seconds markings in the subdial, or put in a hash only at the 15-second points. You could see the time at a glance without a bold, distracting subdial, and yet still see that the watch had been wound and was ticking.

Tom

10My Dornblüth 99.0 Empty Re: My Dornblüth 99.0 Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:11 am

Mark

Good point, Tom, I hadn't really thought about the design in those terms before but I think you're right.

I've been wearing and admiring my 99.1 for the past couple of days and I think overall I do prefer the design to the 99.0.

I also think that Dornblogger's solution to the 99.0 or 99.1 dilemma is far and away the best, though!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]