D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

What would you like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tee530

tee530

With a new year, and Baselworld talk already starting, what new things would like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn?

In no particular order, I'd love to see:

- an upgraded buckle: not a new idea, but I have to agree with many on this forum (and elsewhere) who point out that the quality of the buckle and the engraving doesn't keep up with the watch and strap. How about a nice chunk of metal for a change?

- the engraved dial offered in more models: right now, I think it's only for the Regulator and the Gorch Fock. Since this is an in-house production, and arguably is truer to the marine chronometer history (which had engraved metal dials for durability) I'd love to see them offered for the 99.x series.

- Gorch Fock movement offered in a 99-sized case with standard dial: the PR at 12 and the subseconds at 6 is a great layout, one I like better than the 99.2. Honestly, though, I don't expect this to be offered until the GF LE is sold out and finished.

- a movement with longer PR: as a daily winder, the 99s are great, but a 7-day movement + PR would be very cool. I've seen watches with PRs of 3 or 4 days, but I'm not so sure about this. Between the current 44hr and 1 week you gain a flatter power curve for longer, but remembering to wind every 3 or 4 days is not natural. I suppose you could use the PR indicator, though....

- chronometer performance and certification (COSC or German DIN): I don't know how hard it would be to adjust an 18000 vph movement to perform this well, and I certainly would expect it to cost more, but I think this would be a very desirable option for any in the lineup. I'm sounding like a broken record, but marine chronometer legacy again. I know that many owners might argue that they are already seeing chronometer performance from their watches, and I believe them, but to me this is not the same as setting, and delivering, chronometer performance as a specific goal.

- free-sprung balance with Breguet overcoil hairspring: somewhat related to the wish above for top-notch performance, this would be an expensive option but is the gold standard for high, long-term performance. Would improve positional accuracy. Does away with the regulator for timing, but the canonical swan's-neck could be kept as an adjustment for beat (Lange does this for its free-sprung movements). The overcoil adds something to the balance assembly height (1 mm?) so I don't know how much re-design would be needed.

Okay, now what don't I care about?

- Tourbillons or other exotic complications: never saw the point, and I prefer simplicity over needless complexity (obviously an opinion here).

- Larger watches than the current lineup (42 mm): they're already plenty big for me

- A chronograph: I wouldn't dismiss one out of hand, but I don't own any and they aren't high on my list.

Well, that's it. Anyone else care to jump in with a letter to Santa/Dirk? Very Happy

Tom

2What would you like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn? Empty Excellent, thoughtful list! Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:24 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

I agree with you, almost to the letter. I would add some smaller and thinner case dimensions to my wish list. Fun stuff that I'd like to see might include zero reset and/or dead seconds features.

Cheers!

http://www.dornbluethblog.com

3What would you like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn? Empty Just a thought... Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

strykersng

I'm new to this forum, so hello to everyone. I've really enjoyed looking at all your Dorns in the pic gallery. Incredible watches and I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones soon. I for one would love to see a 44/45mm version. I like the thickness of the Dorn line but I'm a big guy 6'4", 275lbs and my smallest watch is a 44mm. My daily beater is an Omega PO in 45.5 and it's about perfect for me. I was with my wife in NYC a few months ago and almost bought a Wempe manual wind 45mm I saw there. It fit perfect for a dress watch but I just didn't know that much about Wempe. This seems like a great forum and I'm glad I found you guys. Looking forward to learning more and eventually making my choice. Smitty

4What would you like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn? Empty Welcome Smitty! Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

strykersng wrote:I'm new to this forum, so hello to everyone. I've really enjoyed looking at all your Dorns in the pic gallery. Incredible watches and I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones soon. I for one would love to see a 44/45mm version. I like the thickness of the Dorn line but I'm a big guy 6'4", 275lbs and my smallest watch is a 44mm. My daily beater is an Omega PO in 45.5 and it's about perfect for me. I was with my wife in NYC a few months ago and almost bought a Wempe manual wind 45mm I saw there. It fit perfect for a dress watch but I just didn't know that much about Wempe. This seems like a great forum and I'm glad I found you guys. Looking forward to learning more and eventually making my choice. Smitty

For whatever it's worth, 42mm Dornblüths are a natural on my 6'6", 300 lbs. frame. pirat

If you're stuck on larger sizes, do your best to get the 47mm Gorch Fock I.

http://www.dornbluethblog.com

Mark

Welcome to the forum, Smitty!

Tom, great post- much food for thought there.

For me, being the shallow person that I am, the aesthetics of my watches are a bigger priority for me than the accuracy of the time-keeping. So, for me, what I'd love to see most would be a G-F dial layout in a 42mm case.

I'd also be curious to see how Dirk would go about an ultra-thin movement. I appreciate that that would be a considerable move away from what they're currently doing but I'd love to see what they'd come up with.

6What would you like to see from D.Dornblüth & Sohn? Empty smaller Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:13 am

turban1

doubting that the fashion for big watches will last forever, i'd like to see my heirlooms made a bit smaller

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]