D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

99.1 or 99.2

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

199.1 or 99.2 Empty 99.1 or 99.2 Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 am

JYogi

OK
I know I want a Dornbluth...
Seeing Jocke's photos in the other forums
was my introduction to their watches and
when I saw the silver dial and how amazing it
looks I knew I needed one!!

Now the tough part...

I notice most pics here are of the 99.1
I really do like the clean dial of the 99.1

I plan on wearing this as a casual dress watch
(perhaps 1 or 2X a week on average)

BUT

I like how they designed the PR on the 99.2 and
made it quite unique to anything others have done
and that interests me as well....

Part of me says go with the nice clean 99.1 and another part
says go with the 99.2 as it seems to be even more unique than he
standard watch or even their standard.

299.1 or 99.2 Empty A tough choice, yes! Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:07 am

dornblogger

dornblogger

JYogi:

Congratulations on your decision to order a Dornblüth. You're already a winner. Smile

As to your choice between the 99.2 and the 99.1, I key in on your desire for a "casual dress" watch. IMHO this oxymoron sums up your problem. I think that if you can choose between (or assign more weight to) "casual" or "dress", then you will have your answer.

To me the 99.2 has a sportier, "casual" feel first, whereas the 99.1 (with single edge seconds subdial) is more "dressy", in relative terms. That said, neither model's 42mm case fits easily under the cuffs of my dress shirts.

I hope this helps.

http://www.dornbluethblog.com

399.1 or 99.2 Empty Re: 99.1 or 99.2 Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 am

JYogi

Would one be considered more of a true Dornbluth
that the other or anything?

I know that sounds stupid but I just wonder if their pr gauge
on the 99.2 makes it truly unique from other watches as they
explain how they came up with their idea on how to do the gauge
and all that.

Also, which was the first made or were they both brought out at the same time?

Thanks!

499.1 or 99.2 Empty Re: 99.1 or 99.2 Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

JYogi

It shall be a 99.2 with with Quattro Arrett
and silver dial....

Now to decide if I want to do the Appliques
and I can't decide if I should get a metal bracelet
as well as a strap.

Id see myself wearing it on a strap most of the time
BUT their bracelet is so nice it may be worth having..

What does everyone think about the Appliques?

599.1 or 99.2 Empty Nice choice! Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:54 pm

dornblogger

dornblogger

From my blog:

"I am so proud that my collection now includes Dornblüth’s Reference Caliber 99.2 (4) ST. This important model represents the seminal collaboration between the father and son team of Dieter and Dirk Dornblüth, and it showcases three of their great in-house innovations.

In creating the 99.2, the Dornblüths adapted the very sturdy, high quality Unitas 6497 ebauche pocket watch movement. The lepine configuration of the 6497 base put the eccentric seconds indicator at 9 o’clock. To the Dornblüths, this result appeared out of balance. To create a more harmonious dial and to add a useful complication, they chose to insert a power reserve indicator at 3 o’clock. But they weren’t happy with the then-current state-of-the-art, which (utilizing 8 to 10 wheels) was both somewhat inaccurate and too thick.

The Dornblüths developed an ingenious solution that, taking a cue from automotive gearing technology, used only 3 wheels, fit nicely within the constraints of their movement design, and provided great precision. Further, the integration of the power reserve indicator provided the space to add a wheel which enabled the Dornblüths to move the seconds indicator closer to the center axis, thus allowing for the largest-in-class seconds indicator available. The creativity and traditional watchmaking competency (and not expensive equipment) that contributed to the development of these solutions have become the hallmarks of the house of Dornblüth."

Now, the raised numerals are cool, but less classic than the printed numerals. This decision must be yours. The bracelet/strap question is not one of "or", rather it can be one of "and". Twisted Evil

Congratulations!

http://www.dornbluethblog.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum